Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Selling Out

Not that there was any doubt that I would do it, and not that there was any doubt that I had already done it, but last weekend made it abundantly clear that I am officially part of corporate America.

My firm held its "all-attorney" retreat last weekend, where it flys the entire firm to a sunny location for a whole host of activities with the ultimate purpose of achieving what one only reads about on the self-help shelves or learns in an MBA program. Although the retreat was actually a really great program, full of high profile and largely interesting speakers, with minimal forced socialization with the most boring of the attorneys, there were a few unmistakable signs that my life is nothing like it was just a few short years ago:

1. Three days in Palm Springs
2. At a luxury resort
3. Laying by the pool
4. Playing in the firm golf tournament
5. And collecting random bits of memorabilia emblazoned with the firm's name (my favorite, the beer stein).

Yes, I believe I have become that person.