Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Severe Weather, Part II

It snowed on Sunday. This snow was somewhat unexpected, as the forecasters had predicted rain, but because even rain when the temperature is under 50 degrees will send this city into a frenzy, I shouldn’t have been surprised by the DC-area reaction to the weather. I was, however, a bit surprised by my mother’s Monday email:

Are you snowed in? The news reports are saying that it was quite bad there last night and this morning. They said that there was a "Weather Emergency" issued for D.C. What is a "Weather Emergency"? Does it mean that no one is to go outside?

After I finished laughing, I was glad to know that our weather hysteria reached all the way back to the Midwest . . . and that three inches of snow can be the impetus for an Emergency.